How to Buy a Height-Adjustable Table | How to Buy Office Furniture | Source Office Furniture
How to Buy a Height-Adjustable Table
Most of us understand the importance of using ergonomic chairs and seating options to combat the effects of sitting in a stationary position for the duration of the workday. Even with the option of an ergonomic chair, however, it is still important for one’s health to stand and move around throughout the day, stretching the neck, shoulders and lower back. This alleviates tension and pain and subsequently avoids further injuries. By incorporating ergonomic desks into the office space, you’ll have the ability to stand and work when sitting becomes uncomfortable thus improving overall productivity.
Here are some tips to help you choose a height-adjustable table, also known as a standing desk:
- Choose your adjustment mechanism: Height-adjustable tables come in manual and electric options. Manual tables are cheaper, but electric ones are more convenient and efficient. Consider which mechanism fits your needs and budget.
- Check the height range: Make sure the table's height range can accommodate your height and work preferences. Although most height-adjustable tables have a wide range, check that it can cater to your specific requirements.
- Look for stability and weight capacity: A stable and sturdy table is vital to ensure safety and prevent any wobbling or tipping over. Verify that the table can handle your equipment and other items by checking its weight capacity.
- Check tabletop size and material: Ensure that the tabletop size and material can accommodate your equipment and provide ample workspace.
- Explore your options: Some height-adjustable tables offer additional features such as cable management systems, adjustable keyboard trays, and monitor arms.
Our Options for Height-Adjustable Desks
Buying a standing desk comes with many of the same considerations as buying a traditional seated desk. Shape, size (measure your space carefully), and the location of nearby outlets (as well as extension cords) matter . Source has a few options for height-adjustable desks.
Enhance Height-Adjustable Desk
Our Enhance Height Adjustable Tables create a comfortable ergonomic surface for any workspace. Be it for a home office or in-office workspace, this standing desk offers some of the best features available including a sophisticated anti-collision sensor that halts movement when it senses an obstruction, dual motor integration with a 3-stage telescoping lift that creates a smoother, quieter and quicker lift, a deluxe programmable handset, and a load capacity of 265 lbs.
Great for a bigger office, and if you require more surface safe, this option fits perfectly into a corner. Its load capacity is 330 lbs., providing more support for your workstation. Just push a button and the programmable desk raises to your desired height.
Sit To Stand Desk
Clamping to your existing desk, its top-level supports up to 35 lbs. and has space for two monitors. The second level puts keyboard and mouse in easy reach in both the raised and lowered position. It’s an economical solution.
Why buy a Standing Desk
We spend more time behind our desks than ever before, and experts now agree that some of those hours should be spent standing instead of sitting. While it may be too much to expect anyone to stand all day, here are some great reasons for doing at least some of your desk work in the upright position:
Boosted Energy: Standing increases blood flow, which in turn causes the brain to be more alert. This improves concentration and cuts down on that mid-afternoon sleepy feeling. Standing also increases body awareness, so no more trying to get up on legs that have gone to sleep while you were busy typing.
Increased Engagement: Standing provides opportunities for eye-level discussions with other co-workers as they pass by, even if only for a few minutes. This improves inter-office communications by encouraging real-time engagement. It also combats the isolation that can come with hiding behind a monitor all day.
Improved Core Strength and Posture: Standing increases core strength, which goes hand-in-hand with good posture. It can also relieve the back stress or pain associated with sitting in a chair for eight hours a day. It even automatically promotes movement — for which our bodies are naturally designed.
What You Need to Know About Using a Height-Adjustable Desk
Once you have your new height-adjustable desk, here’s how to make the most of your new office furniture.
How long should I stand up?
While there’s a lot of agreement on the dangers of too much sitting, there are no hard and fast rules about how much you should stand. What everyone does agree on, though, is that it’s best to start slowly. Stand until your feet (or back, or legs) get tired, and gradually build your standing time. Try not to sit more than 30 minutes at a stretch and make sure when you do sit, it’s on an ergonomic chair. Overall, you should aim to stand for at least 2 hours out of an 8-hour workday.
What’s the correct height for a standing desk?
The rules of good ergonomics still apply when you’re standing up, so follow these guidelines when setting up your desk:
- Set your desk height so that you’re able to type on the keyboard with your arms hanging comfortably at your sides and your shoulders relaxed. Your hands should be at, or just below, your elbow. Check out this desk height calculator for easy reference.
- Put your keyboard and mouse close together at the same level. Your wrists should be straight while typing, and you can always use an adjustable keyboard tray to give you more mobility.
- Set your monitor at eye level so that you’re not tilting your head up or down while you work. A monitor arm is a handy tool for this — and easier to adjust than a stack of printer paper.
It may take a little time to get used to a standing desk arrangement, but with the right preparation and an ease-into-it approach, you may find it becomes your new favourite way to work. Your body will definitely thank you in the long run.
With 12 locations across Canada and delivery across the country, we have the best selection of ergonomic height-adjustable standing desks. Not sure which one is the best standing desk for your office? Start an online chat or get in touch with one of our space planning and office furniture specialists.