Comfortable workers are healthier, happier, and more productive. Enter ergonomic office furniture.
What Exactly Is Ergonomics?
- Ergonomics is the science of designing products tailored for human use.
- Human characteristics, such as height, weight, and proportions, are all considered to create the optimal product.
- By encouraging natural movements and better posture, ergonomic products reduce fatigue, cut down on body strain, and improve efficiency.
Ergonomics Is Economical
- This specially-designed furniture helps to prevent musculoskeletal injuries (MSI), which are costly.
- According to Work Safe BC , MSI are the most common work-related injuries in the province.
- Each year, MSI-related worker absence and lost productivity costs Ontario’s workplaces hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Because MSI are often slow to be noticed and don’t get reported until they’re severe, treatment can be lengthy and more costly.
Incorporating ergonomic furniture into your office doesn’t have to be complicated or expensive. Here are some ways to get it done.
Consider Height-Adjustable Desks
For years, we’ve known that sitting all day isn’t good for our health. Height- adjustable (or standing) desks offer numerous benefits.
- They may increase productivity. In a 2016 study , employees at a call centre who used a standing desk were 45 per cent more productive on a daily basis compared to their seated colleagues.
- Combining a standing desk with moving more may improve back pain. Participants of a 2018 study who used a standing desk and engaged in counselling to improve sedentary behaviour experienced a 50 per cent decrease in low back pain compared to a control group that had neither intervention.
Height-Adjustable Desk Options
Height-adjustable desks free you from sitting all day.
- Just Push. A push of a button on a programmable desk rises or lowers your desk to a preselected height.
- Crank It Up. Source also has manual adjustment desks, if you’re more of a do-it-yourself kind of person.
- Options. Both our rectangular and corner desks come in a range of sizes and finishes.
- Retrofit Your Current Desk. If you really love your desk but still want ergonomic benefits, the Elevate Sit Stand Desk is for you. It clamps to the front or back of desktops that are 30 inches deep or less. Its pneumatic mechanism lets you raise your monitor and keyboard to an appropriate standing height.
The Wrong Chair Is a Big Deal
After a few hours in the wrong chair, you’ll find yourself twisting and turning, standing to relieve numbness, or rubbing your lower back. That can lead to various issues.
- Minor Health Issues. A misalignment of shoulders, spine, and hips can cause strain and even injuries.
- Major Health Issues. A study in the American Journal of Epidemiology concluded that prolonged sitting utilizing poor posture can lead to severe consequences: cancer, kidney diseases, diabetes, and other chronic illnesses.
What to Look For
Ergonomic chairs, which are most often defined by their ability to support proper posture, health, and comfort. They commonly feature:
- Back, arm, and headrest
- Appropriate height and seat width
- Adjustable lumbar support (for a personalized fit)
- Seat and back angle adjustment options
- Tension control (how much your seat tilts forward or back when you do)
- A swivel base so you can easily reach various parts of your desk
- Fabric that’s breathable to allow cooling air flow
- Enough cushion to support you through an entire workday
- Adjustable arms to give your elbows a resting place as you type
Complete your ergonomic office with accessories to help you achieve total wellness.
- Desk lamp: Reduces eye strain
- Keyboard tray: Offers wrist comfort
- Anti-fatigue mat: High-density foam provides supportive cushion underfoot, reducing foot and leg fatigue. It pairs especially well with a height-adjustable desk, so you aren’t standing on a hard floor.
- Computer monitor arms: Allow you to easily adjust your screens’ angles and positions for an ideal computer setup
- A lateral file cushion for filing cabinet: Adds another place to sit, and gives your work environment a pop of colour
At Source, we carry a wide range of ergonomic solutions, including seating, desks, and accessories, to keep you injury free.